By Nathan Denny and Scott Axelrod
Session Recap: Vistage’s Industry Series tackled the healthcare industry in this specially focused session.
An executive wants to know: How do I determine my potential value in the world of consumer-directed healthcare? How can I learn more about the relevancy and opportunity for consumer-driven healthcare to be a driving force in flattening the cost curve, and find my role within that world?
1. Initial Suggestions / Solutions
- Networking, networking, networking!
- Test out Vistage; research and network with other companies in the CDH space; join industry groups on LinkedIn; try out a personal health record; lecture at a local university.
2. Round 1: Clarifying Questions (Background/Understanding)
- What’s your priority — being an influencer/teacher, or running a business?
- Have you taken any assessments (such as StrengthFinders) to identify your dominant traits?
- How would YOU like to contribute to this goal? What do you want to accomplish in specific terms?
- Are you comfortable not knowing what the answer is?
3. Re-stated Issue
How can I build a business plan that leverages my wisdom in a way that solves problems for others but is also aligned with my own personal and professional sources of happiness?
4. Round 2: Suggestions (Solutions)
- Become a speaker for Vistage
- Clarify who you want to serve and what impact do you want to have.
- Talk to those that you’ve worked with – ask them what your expertise is?
- Spend time narrowing down your focus on what you’d like to do.
5. Sources Referenced:
Here’s a sample of some of the sources recommended to help this executive with his stated issue:
- DISC Profiles
6. Action Plan
The results are in! This CEO has committed to:
- More fully identify my traits and interests based on this session’s feedback;
- Examine the websites shared in this session; and (above all)
- FOCUS! … and find the right niche.
Session date: Apr 17, 2012
Originally published: Apr 19, 2012